RE: [RRG] loc/id split and LISP

*> A new architecture with a new namespace could mean that we have to
*> change
*> most of components of current Internet. It is a revolution rather
*> than a
*> smooth transition.
*>
*> For example, HIP, it requests ALL end devices change their stacks, ALL
*> applications to be modified in order to support HIT, and to deploy
*> a global
*> mapping real-time system in order to translate the identifier (HIT)
*> into
*> locator (IP). I am sure that I do not mention all the costs.
*> Personally, I
*> am pessimistic the abovementioned can happen in a short future. HIP
*> does not
*> improve the network routing however. HIP++, Node ID even requests
*> more in
*> order to optimize network routing. It consequently requests the
*> modification
*> on all the routers besides all the abovementioned requirements. Is it
*> expensive?
*
*
*How is this cost any higher than that of deploying IPv6?  It seems to
*me that there's no significant qualitative cost differentiation
*between deploying v6 as it stands today and some better solution.  In
*fact, a better solution might well be easier to deploy, as the cost/
*benefit ratio might be tolerable.
*
*Tony

Agree. The deploying cost of IPv6 is quite expensive. I started to work on
IPv6 and IPv6 transition since 2001. By that time, we optimistically think
IPv6 could replace IPv4 in 2 or 3 years giving its maturity of basic
protocols and massive advantages. Now, I have to say that we underestimated
the deploying cost, a lot. One more thing to be mentioned, IPv6 provides a
lot transition approaches to support IPv4/IPv6 coexist. So far, I have not
seen such efforts in HIP or Node ID. (I may volunteer to do so.) And in
order to obtain the biggest benefit of HIP or Node ID, globally deployment
is requested. Therefore, transition solutions may not solve the problems.

Best regards,

Dr. Sheng JIANG

IP Research Department, Networking Research Department, Network Product
Line, Huawei Technologies Co. Ltd.