Re: [RRG] loc/id split and LISP

In einer eMail vom 11.10.2007 14:32:32 Westeuropäische Normalzeit schreibt jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu:
Plus to which the IETF as a whole might not agree to allocate that space to
LISP, and one of the great charms of LISP is that it can start (and be
useful) with a very small initial deployment, without getting universal
buy-in.

    > Things won't be as clean as we would like but that is the cost of
    > incremental/least-cost changes to get a Loc/ID split deployed.

Exactly.
imho it is the wrong method to pursue that solution which needs the least incremental changes.
In the end, the costs may be more than the gains.
Two centuries ago mathematicians invented the logarithm by which they could reduce the complexity of multiplications/divisions to that of additions/substractions. It paid off, especially as there were no computers. I believe the real topic is the elimination of the scalability problem rather than the deployment of the Loc/ID split.

Heiner