Re: [RRG] loc/id split and LISP

From: Dino Farinacci <dino@cisco.com>

How about the contentious issue of 240.0.0.0/4, should it be used as
the TLA for the EID namespace for IPv4?

I think it actually makes more sense to use that space for LISP RLOC's.

Then all ISPs have to renumber if we do that. And they would have to
ask/force their customers to renumber their ETRs.

Actually, I wasn't suggesting that all RLOC's have to come from that space (which certainly has the disadvantages that you list), merely that if it is
released, that it be used for RLOC's.

Okay, makes more sense.

I do not think we can require either namespace (EID's or RLOC's) to be
entirely allocated from 240/4; that would have the same problem for either
use, i.e. it would require a lot of renumbering.

Definitely agree.

I think its better to have 240.0.0.0/4 used for an EID namespace.

The problem with that is that if a host is given a 240/4 address as an EID, for it to successfully operate, not only does *it* have to operate correctly with 240/4 addresses, but so do *all the other hosts* with which it might want to inter-operate. So, legacy hosts are going to make use of 240/0 for
EID's (or for host addresses in general) problematic.

This is true, the "it's hard to upgrade hosts" issue.

Far better to use it in a more limited context, i.e. the LISP backbone.

And, like I said, once the rest of the namespace space becomes EIDs, we'll be able to use the legacy space more densely, giving us extended life in that
part of the space.

Right.

Dino