RE: [RRG] incrementally deployable

Heiner

I for one would be very interested to learn about your ideas.

I followed your challenge about following the sequence of arrows (the first part of which was to find the right page to look at on your web site!!) – and indeed I ended up at the red node. So your approach is devising a Directed Acyclic Graph? I worked a bit on the TORA routing protocol, which formed DAGs so would be interested to hear how similar /different it is. why are your arrows multi-coloured? How does it work when the topology changes? Where’s there’s a choice of next hops, how do you decide which to use? Earlier you said that the alternative routes would use different ISPs, how is this reflected in the DAG?

You earlier implied that your approach is hierarchical, where does the hierarchy come into it? [your red node picture doesn’t seem to have a hierarchy]

You mention Rekhter’s law: addressing may follow topology or topology may follow addressing but choose one. Which one would you choose? Why? Nb at least some of the rrg proposals are trying at a high level to do this – splitting locator & ID to allow more freedom on how the locators are assigned so that they can follow the topology more closely [better aggregatable] and hence improve scalability of routing tables. Do you agree?

Sorry for all the questions, would be very interested in the answers!

Ps I expect you know -  when the EU judges research proposals ‘Scientific & technical excellence’ is worth 1/3rd of the marks, so it’s quite possible for proposals to score well in this category and still fail. Which can be frustrating. Do you have plans to submit a proposal with similar technical scope?

Thanks

Best wishes

Philip Eardley