RE: [RRG] Topology that follows addressing

Heiner

Thanks. re your first para - personally I find it very useful to understand what a protocol is trying to do at a high level and why - before reading all the detail.

Let me see if I understand your approach:

- A node’s address is simply its geographic location [based on latitude/longitude].

- The topology is hierarchical & follows the addressing.

Geographic-based routing is an interesting idea and there has been some study of it in the ad hoc community I believe. Couple of questions:

- Would any policy control be possible? eg to route through a particular higher level network that you have a commercial deal with. How about TE & multihoming? All these things would seem to me to make it more problematic to enforce ‘topology must follow geography’. in the context of a global network, would it mean there was only one network?

- how would failures be dealt with? Can you discover & swap to and alternative path? (this would then mean that topology didn’t follow geography)

- could you handle mobile nodes and networks?

sorry if I’ve completely misunderstood it

best wishes,

Phil Eardley