Re: [RRG] A new draft about Hierarchical Routing Architecture

On Nov 16, 2007, at 9:46 AM, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

One of the tricks with migration is that there is a benefit to the
person who migrates. A crytpo ID gives potentially some security
related benefits (whether they are wanted or not is another
question) therefore there may be a motivation to add that to a host.

It took a decade to get IPv6 implemented and on by default in Windows. It is reasonable to expect it'll take a similar amount of time to get any other major host stack changes made and deployed. We don't have that much time left, therefore solutions that require changes to host stacks are interesting but (IMHO) not useful at this point.

Alternately, it's pretty clear that we're getting to the point where OS release updates are getting to be pretty well automated. We can certainly expect that as we get large-scale experience with v6, we will find bugs with it, that those bugs will get addressed in service packs or similar updates. It would seem that host vendors could also use the same mechanism to make changes to the host stack using their automated release process.

So, IMHO, changes to the host stack are still extremely viable. It's true that they won't get overnight deployment, but then the router world is no longer deploying new code nightly either.

Tony