[RRG] A new draft about Hierarchical Routing Architecture

Hi all,

These days I have received some feedbacks and questions publicly or
privately. Thanks those people for their valuable comments at first.

For better understand of HRA, I want to do some clarification about it here:

First, the globally unique HIT within HRA plays the role of host identifier
actually, whereas the variable-length HI (the public key) is just used for
security purposes such as encryption and authentication.

Second, the hierarchical HIT within HRA is in accordance with the characters
of an ideal endpoint identifier described in Noel's endpoint namespace
draft, such as global uniqueness, Topological Insensitivity, Portability,
partially "Local Creatability", Distributed Catalogueabilty, Embedded
Organizational Affiliation and Fixed Length. Besides, it's a cryptographic
host identifier, and it can be used as a part of secure Internet environment
for the purpose of e-commerce healthy development. Take mobile phone as an
example, you don't feel inconvenient at the age of no mobile phone, but once
you use it, you will find you can not leave it almost. I believe the
cryptographic host identifier has some kind of character like mobile phone.

Third, the hierarchical global locator namespace (a combination of LD ID and
local locator) meets the demand of huge addresses in future Internet at a
minimum cost. It has no influence on most of routers except LDBRs,
especially from the perspective of forwarding plane. We don't need to suffer
the dilemma of IPv6 transition anymore.

Fourth, the hierarchical routing mechanism meets the new requirement of
routing stability in [draft-irtf-rrg-design-goals-01], as a route churn in
one LD will not be flooded in the whole Internet.

Lastly, HRA also does some effort from the perspective of deployability.
Most of routers except some LDBRs are not required to be replaced or
upgraded. Besides, Hierarchical HIT and hierarchical DHT ease the management
of the global id/loc mapping system and global uniqueness guarantee
mechanism.

Any comment is welcomed.

Best regards,

Xu Xiaohu