Re: [RRG] IPv4 shortage, new features and IPv6 inevitability

On 22 nov 2007, at 4:59, Robin Whittle wrote:

I think the only solution to address depletion is to divide the
remaining free space and currently allocated but underutilized space
into smaller blocks than has been the case (longer prefixes), down
to /30 or whatever.

This completely ignores the current reality that the average address block given out is almost 30,000 addresses. 90% of the address space given out is very large blocks going to ISPs, who presumably need it for their access services. If you need a million addresses you could also take 16 /16 blocks or maybe even 256 /24 blocks, but certainly not a quarter million /30s. Also, IF IPv4 address space is available it's going to be in blocks significantly larger than that, not only because the smallest that can be used today is /24, but also because the vast majority of the presumably reclaimable address space is in the form of /8s (and almost all of the rest in /16s). Some slicing and dicing may be required, but from a /8 down to a /30? Don't think so.

With the existing reliance on BGP alone, that
would lead to a completely unsustainable explosion in the number of
prefixes.

An interesting thing about BGP is that if you break it, you see that immediately. That means you'll revert back to the previous configuration within minutes. So anything that has enough impact to really break BGP simply won't be deployed.

I think the continuing need for IPv4 address space, including
smaller chunks of it with greater use of NAT, will continue for the
foreseeable future - 5 to 10 years at least.  Having an IPv6 address
does not alter the need of the vast majority of users for direct (or
via NAT) access to IPv4.

It's interesting to contrast the situation the big content players are in versus the one ISPs are in. As a content network, you need very little IPv4 space. Moving to IPv6 is pretty much a binary thing: you either enable it or you don't. So for content people enabling IPv6 is hard and sticking to IPv4 is easy. ISPs on the other hand needs lots of fresh IPv4 space to connect new customers, but they are in the position to roll out new deployments for new users and keep existing customers on existing stuff so they don't have to go to IPv6 wholesale at once. So for ISPs sticking to IPv4 is going to be problematic due to the depletion while introducing IPv6 is relatively easy.

So we'll probably see a world where more and more eyeballs are on IPv6 (which means in practice either IPv6-only with proxies/NAT-PT or IPv6+IPv4/NAT dual stack) while most of the content will stick to IPv4- only for a much longer time.

Any claims of 5 or 10 years or even longer is highly suspect because I don't see a quantitative basis for it. My best guesstimate about the IPv4 depletion is that we'll run out in 2012, so yes, in 5 years most people will still be running IPv4. But if good transition mechanisms are available, it will be easy to move to IPv6-only while still having access to IPv4 resources and then a significant number of people could be living on an IPv6-only network fairly soon.

Iljitsch, despite what you wrote and what quite a few people believe
about IPv6 and about IPv4 utilization, still I believe (for all the
reasons I stated) that IPv6 offers no short to medium term (1 to 5
years) benefit to ordinary Internet users (and therefore their ISPs)
compared to the costs of adopting it.

The benefit is that you get to connect new users to the network for more than just the next 5 years.

Building a house also doesn't give you an immediate benefit: it costs a lot of money while building but you can't start living in it until you're done. But houses are built every day.

The costs of adopting IPv6 are quite small, especially if you take enough time to do it.

I still believe that for the next 5 to 15 years most users will find
it better to squeeze more usage out of IPv4 address space

That only prolongs the pain. Worst case would be that address policies become very strict and people spend enormous amounts of time and money getting a few IPv4 address but we don't really "run out" so IPv6 deployment doesn't happen. We need fresh IP addresses to be available one way or the other, without that, we'll all be wasting a lot of time and money on addressing that could have gone to something productive.

1 - IPv4 address depletion is the most urgent architectural
problem facing the Internet - and far better recognised than
BGP stability and router scaling problems with the growth of
advertised prefixes.

Ah, but that's a solved problem. RRG = research, IETF =
engineering. IPv4 depletion = operation. We all know what needs
to be done here. A wise man once said: just do it.

I see no consensus at all on what needs to be done regarding IPv4
address depletion.

I think you imply that we all agree the answer is to move to IPv6.

Knowing that something needs to be done and agreeing to do it aren't the same thing.

The trouble is, as I outlined above, IPv6 only solves the IPv4
address depletion problem once everyone - or almost everyone - has
moved to IPv6.

That's why we still need to work on transition mechanisms in the IETF. Dual stack isn't it.

I think it was a mistake for IPv6 to have such long
addresses, adding to the length of every packet.  64 bits should
have been fine

That wouldn't have made any difference to our deployment issues, it would just have meant no CGA/HBA or stateless autoconfig. The real answer is of course that addresses need to be variable length.

I'm not convinced. The issue isn't the number of places that need
an address block, but the number of places that need an
individual address.

I think it is both, although NAT tends to reduce the quantity of
addresses each end-user network needs.

You assume a model where it would be possible for every device that connects to the network to get an individual public address. That's simply not possible with IPv4, because the need for addresses is so dynamic that ISPs can't realistically provision addresses this way. (For instance, currently I don't need any addresses at home. When I get home and start copying some data between different computers I need 4 or 5 addresses.)

The current model is that in most cases, an ISP provisions one address per line to a customer. If this changes to a larger number of lines per address this makes NAT more problematic for end-users, but yes, that could save a lot of address space.

5 - IPv4 address space utilisation could easily be improved if
there were suitable policies and slicing and dicing
technologies. Ping responsive host rates in advertised space
are around 4%:

Meaningless. First of all, they also pinged unrouted space.

It is not meaningless.  My survey and the much better work at USC ISI:

 http://www.isi.edu/ant/address/
 http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/host-density-per-prefix/

both surveyed address space which was advertised in BGP.

I asked the guy from ANT, he said that they also pinged unrouted space.

So there is plenty of room for improvement.

No. Any effort spent on getting back IPv4 space for new uses is
wasted effort, because we need to move to IPv6 in the slightly
longer run anyway.

Geoff Huston estimates 5 to 20% utilization.

Could be. I'm pretty sure that many ISPs never bother to reuse old address space when customers leave etc but simply request new stuff.

The real question is: why is the utilization so low? And is that reason still present today? If so, what would we need to do to overcome that factor? And if we do that, how much extra IPv4 time would that give us?

We already see that ARIN doesn't want to reclaim any of the legacy class A address space, even though that only means 40 instances of administrative work for 650 million IPv4 addresses - a pretty sweet deal compared to pretty much any other effort that you can think of.

IPv6 is years - probably decades - away from being sufficiently
widely and robustly deployed in applications and OSes.

Nonsense. I'll prove it to you by turning off IPv4 right now on my system and sending you this message running IPv6-only using only software that came with my Mac and a dual stack server elsewhere on the network.

I'm not saying it's possible to turn off IPv4 today without any impact on functionality (I can't print or use my instant messaging client right now for instance) but we've come a long way since when I started with IPv6 and I could only do ping6 and traceroute6.

But why would I, or most other end-users (and their ISPs) get IPv6
connectivity, ensure our most important devices, hosts OSes and
applications are IPv6 compatible, when there is no benefit now or in
the next few years over continuing to use IPv4 and leaving my
computer undisturbed?

Forget end-users. They don't know about this stuff. ISPs will start at some point but they're going to wait some more because if you have the choice between spending money now or spending it tomorrow, the latter is usually a no-brainer.