Re: [RRG] IPv4 shortage, new features and IPv6 inevitability

On Thu, Nov 22, 2007 at 11:22:11AM +0100,
 Iljitsch van Beijnum <iljitsch@muada.com> wrote
 a message of 202 lines which said:

> > short to medium term (1 to 5 years) benefit to ordinary Internet
> > users (and therefore their ISPs) compared to the costs of adopting
> > it.
> Building a house also doesn't give you an immediate benefit: it
> costs a lot of money while building but you can't start living in it
> until you're done.  But houses are built every day.

There is a big difference: when you build the house, you are
reasonably certain that the house will be completed and that it will
be usable. When you deploy IPv6 (or HIP or HRA or ...), there is a
risk, that the rest of the world won't follow and that you'll have
wasted your time and money. So, deploying a new technologgy is an act
of faith, unlike building an house.

Instead of "immediate benefit" as a criterion, we should request
"certain benefit" for the user.