Re: [RRG] Idea for shooting down

Just two remarks:

On 2007-11-23 17:32, Robin Whittle wrote:
Hi Brian,

A short version of this message is:

  I think your scheme is not needed - a single BGP system and a
  single ITR-ETR system should do the trick.

We differ ;-). I don't think we can add anything to our arguments,
so I'd like to know what other people think - one level
vs several levels.

<snip>

If we use something like GRE
you actually have no control at the ITR-ETR level over how many
actual routing hops are involved in the GRE tunnel.

Ivip does its own tunneling in a very straightforward way - IP in IP
- without involving any other protocols.  The inner packet is the
original traffic packet.  The outer destination address is that of
the ETR.  The outer source address is that of the sending host.

My argument applies to any form of encapsulation - the inner packet may
perceive one hop from A to B, but the outer header may experience any number
of actual hops.

     Brian