Re: [RRG] Idea for shooting down

On 23 nov 2007, at 20:32, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

 I think your scheme is not needed - a single BGP system and a
 single ITR-ETR system should do the trick.

We differ ;-). I don't think we can add anything to our arguments,
so I'd like to know what other people think - one level
vs several levels.

Since you ask: what I would like to see is a combination of something from the LISP family combined with a hierarchical mechanism like CRIO that allows packets for which there is no mapping yet to be delivered through increased stretch.

The number of levels in the hiearchy would presumably be greater than one, but this is something that the operators should figure out.

I'm not sure I've digested all the elements of your IFSD (idea for shooting down) approach, but in general, I'm suspicious of an approach where there is emphasis on having different levels of an hierarchy that isn't a natural extension of the addressing hierarchy because this requires extra effort to find out where in the hierarchy a certain prefix is present at any given time. An approach where the routing hierarchy is aligned with the address bits seems a more natural choice to me. But I'm open to hearing more arguments.