Re: [RRG] Ships in the night? RRG, RADIR & ist-RiNG

On Nov 30, 2007, at 9:00 PM, Robin Whittle wrote:

Can anyone clarify or comment on the roles of these three ships?

They seem to be sailing in the same ocean, ostensibly on the same
mission.  However, they rarely, if ever, come close enough to each
other to communicate or work together.

Hi Robin,

here is my understanding:

RRG: It is a research group, under IRTF. its mission is described in the charter
	http://www.irtf.org/charter?gtype=rg&group=rrg

regarding your following comment
  While the problem is of immense importance and while a solution is
  urgently desired, I understand there is no absolute timeframe.

yes in general research does not necessarily follows an absolute deadline. and yes your statement is quite right that the problem is of immense importance and a solution is urgently desired. Tony and I have discussed this topic, and will share our thought shortly.

RADIR: again its charter says what it is
   "The Routing and Addressing Directorate is tasked to stay
    abreast of activities and provide coordinated updates to
    the community"
it is a directorate, but not a research/engineering/result-producing body by itself.

ist-RiNG: I know this one least so my comment can be entirely wrong, but isn't this merely one of multiple existing funded projects in the broad Internet research area?

Lets chat offline if you still find this confusing.

Lixia