Re: [RRG] The use of UDP in LISP

On 2007-12-10, at 19:17, ext Dino Farinacci wrote:
Could you elaborate a bit, please? It may be the jetlag, but I can't follow.

Now with UDP-Lite, which we did not have to do with checksum-0-based- UDP:

o Check on another field to determine how many bytes we have to checksum.
o Build a pseudo-header which prepends the checksummed data.

Thanks for elaborating. Yes, there is some extra work. But assuming LISP and other UDP tunnels will limit the UDP-Lite checksum coverage to the minimum (i.e., just the header), things become very lightweight. (But yes, not as lightweight as not doing any checksumming.)

As long as LISP is a research effort, it is very free in following the published RFCs. But as soon as we're starting to talk about standardization, it is important that LISP follow the RFCs that define the behavior of the protocols that it uses. (After all, you'd want people to follow the MUST and SHOULDs in any future LISP RFCs, right?)

That pretty much leaves these options on how to go forward:

  * use UDP with checksums
  * use UDP-Lite with minimal checksum coverage
  * push to update RFC2460, then use UDP with no checksums
  * use a different protocol than UDP for tunneling

I have no preference among those four.

Lars