Re: [RRG] Process proposal: agenda admission control

Excerpts from Tony Li on Wed, Dec 12, 2007 05:09:42PM -0800:
> a) Try to decrease N by elimination.  This could involve more
> reviews of the N proposals to see which ones the program committee
> feels are most interesting.  This might succeed if M and N differ
> only slightly.

Excerpts from Olivier Bonaventure on Thu, Dec 13, 2007 11:47:36AM
+0100:
> - select a short committee whose job will be to review the proposals
>   and select those that will be presented given the available time
>
> - choose a deadline for the submission of proposals, e.g. two months
>   before the meeting
>
> - As I think that it is important for the community to be aware of the
>   proposals, they should be sent as internet-drafts or publically
>   available technical reports and announced on the mailing list
>
> - during two or three weeks, the members of the committee write
>   reviews for the proposals. The community could also discuss the
>   proposals through the mailing list
>
> - the committee reads all reviews and selects the best ones for
>   presentations. The reviews are sent on the mailing list
>
> - the authors of the presentations should submit a revised version of
>   their proposal based on the feedback received on the mailing list
>   and from the reviewers

I think public discussion of proposals should be the major factor
going into how much discussion they get in face-to-face meetings.
Individuals on the program committee should not be expected to or need
to make decisions on their own.  Therefore the process should include
a period of significant public technical review before a committee
member makes a decision.  "Significant public technical review" could
be as little as 2 weeks (more is better but sometimes there just isn't
time).  In general a good proposal gets *better* as it is scrutinized
and discussed.  In any case, once substantial public discussion has
taken place, then a contributor can ask the program committee to
consider the proposal.  This both protects the program committee from
suspicion of arbitrariness and technical incompetence :-p, and also
supports them in evaluating proposals.