Re: [RRG] Process proposal: agenda admission control

Tony, Dimitri,

I think that the principle of selecting the presentations is necessary
and having a "committee" to decide is better than simply letting the
chairs decide on their own.

However, I'm surprised that you do not consider discussion on the
mailing list and submissions of drafts/technical reports.

>> "only high quality proposals with substantive novelty will take
>> group-wide time."
>>
>> -> novelty against ? the existing global Internet, the existing
>> scientific literature, the existing rrg proposals, etc. ?
>

> Against the existing proposals.

Assessing this novelty could be done by discussing publically the
submitted presentations on the mailing list before the meeting.

>> "The identity of the endorsing member will be made public."
>>
>> -> is the review itself also going to be made public/sent on the list ?
>

> The review is essentially a yes/no answer and we'll only be disclosing
> the yeses.

I don't think that a binary review is the proper way to select
presentations. In all scientific conferences, the selection on the
papers that will be presented is done based on the *text* comments
written by the reviewers. The feedback from the reviewers is more
important than the presentation slot.

If you want to have good proposals submitted to RRG for presentations,
may I consider the following :

- select a short committee whose job will be to review the proposals and
select those that will be presented given the available time
- choose a deadline for the submission of proposals, e.g. two months
before the meeting
- As I think that it is important for the community to be aware of the
proposals, they should be sent as internet-drafts or publically
available technical reports and announced on the mailing list
- during two or three weeks, the members of the committee write reviews
for the proposals. The community could also discuss the proposals
through the mailing list
- the committee reads all reviews and selects the best ones for
presentations. The reviews are sent on the mailing list
- the authors of the presentations should submit a revised version of
their proposal based on the feedback received on the mailing list and
from the reviewers

Olivier

--
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be , Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium