Re: [RRG] map-and-map (vs map-and-encaps) - further thoughts

On 2008-01-04 23:08, Brian Dickson wrote:
Here are some further interesting side-benefits that come from doing transmogrification (onto, and then 1:1, mappings), rather than encapsulation (tunneling):

It is possible for non-EID hosts (without an ITR) to speak to an EID host, by addressing it via any of its RLOC addresses. The ETR maps the RLOC onto the EID, and the EID host doesn't know any different.

My attention may have been off, but I don't quite recall how your
proposal remaps to the original addresses at or near the recipient,
which is required for the EID host not to know any different
(because of all the reasons that NAT breaks upper layers).

We travelled this road in multi6/shim6 and that's how we ended up with
shim6 being essentially signalled double ended NAT. I don't see how
you can untransmogrify without signalling.

   Brian C