Re: [RRG] Tunnel fragmentation/reassembly for RRG map-and-encaps architectures

Tony Li wrote:

[Multi-reply...]

On Jan 16, 2008, at 8:33 AM, Brian Dickson wrote:
We don't need to reinvent the wheel, IMHO - just take advantage of the dnssec.

That would be fine by me. However, DNSsec has been awaiting deployment for about a decade now. I'm not hopeful that this is going to happen anytime soon.

At this point, IMHO, DNSsec is likely to see reasonably wide deployment before the really wide deployment of IPv6. (0.5-1.5 years for sure.)
More generally, my friends in the security and operations communities point out that, in general, approaches with a full blown PKI infrastructure are simply too heavyweight to be pragmatically deployable. There are simply too many interdependencies. Their strong suggestions point much more towards pairwise security and/or web-of-trust approaches (ala PGP).

That works for only so many degrees of separation, IMHO.
On the other hand, I would expect the value of LISP is only seen when sites whose multihoming is dependent on LISP, are globally reachable via LISP. Which means that arbitrary unrelated entities need some way of trusting "the system", rather than each other. Especially if a LISP site is offering "real" services (e.g. any kind of sales function).