[RRG] Re: Aggregation Implies Provider Dependence (LISP-ALT) & Ivip dependencies too

Hi Christian,

I agree that with the strictly aggregated model of ALT (as best I
understand it) the end-user would need to connect their ETRs
(actually, the ETRs probably belong to the one, two or more ISPs the
end-user connects to the Net through) via a GRE tunnel to a
particular ALT router which is at the lowest level of the hierarchy.
 That ALT router is is presumably operated by whoever is responsible
for the address space of which the end-user's EID is a subset.

That router would be located somewhere, probably not anywhere near
the ISPs currently chosen by the end-user, since end-users are able
to use any ISP in the world.  This does imply a direct
"provider-dependence", in terms of physical LISP-ALT communications
via the GRE tunnels, which are essential to the system operating
correctly.

Alternatively, invoking ALT's potential for meshiness, the first ALT
router might be a local one, not owned by whoever provides the
address space.  That ALT router would be more likely to be operated
by the ISP which the end-user chose for Net connectivity.  End-users
are not bound to any particular ISP.

Every administrative arrangement I can think of for managing the new
type of address space of a map-encap scheme (EID for LISP) involves
some kind of dependence on the organisation who somehow provides the
larger block of address space from which the end-user's space is a
subset.

This assumes that the end-user gets their EID or micronet addresses
from some other organisation, implicitly a "provider", who also
provides such address space to many other end-users.  I use the term
"Mapped Address Block" (MAB) to denote each range of addresses,
advertised in BGP as a prefix, which is devoted to Ivip mapping.  A
"provider" is the organisation who has been assigned this address
space by an RIR (unless of course the provider is an RIR).

If an end-user already had their own PI space today, with its own
BGP advertised prefix, made that a part of LISP or Ivip, and then
mapped the whole thing as a single EID/micronet, then the end user
is acting as their own "provider".  There is no direct reduction in
the number of BGP advertised prefixes - so this is not how I think
LISP or Ivip should generally be used.