Re: [RRG] Re: Aggregation Implies Provider Dependence (LISP-ALT) & Ivip dependencies too

On 2008-02-04 18:05, Robin Whittle wrote:
> Number portability has been enforced on many cell-phone and wireline
> POTS services around the world - despite their protests.  I am not
> sure exactly how this is implemented, but I think it involves the
> call first going to the telco which originally had the number, and
> then to the telco which the end-user currently selects for their
> service.  This is messy, but is feasible on the national scale of
> these phone networks.  (The alternative is a database lookup -
> perhaps locally cached - of a national numbering database for every
> single call which is made.)

However, user expectations are of a noticeable delay between dialling
a phone number and hearing the ringing tone. So e2e lookup solutions
to both number portability and roaming are tolerable. If we're
prepared to tolerate such a delay in initial identifier-to-locator
lookup, why are we having this conversation? (And note that
Mobile IP effectively *does* use such a solution.)

    Brian