Re: [RRG] Evolutionary Possibilities

On Feb 16, 2008, at 6:40 AM, Randall Atkinson wrote:

CAVEAT:
   As I have said here before, it isn't obvious to me how one
could implement a true I/L split scheme in IPv4.  The challenge
is where to put the Identifier values if one can't use IPv4
options.  (Using IPv4 options is a non-starter because it forces
the packet to be slow-path forwarded in nearly all current
implementations.) [2] [3]

One way would be to use a new transport protocol code point, hide data within that, and then run traditional transports on top of that.

There are always going to be encoding tricks that we can play. The real question is more about the correct conceptual result.

Tony