RE: [RRG] Evolutionary Possibilities

Earlier, Tony Li suggested:
% One way [to handle IDs in IPv4 without IP options] would be to use a
% new transport protocol code point, hide data within that, and then run
% traditional transports on top of that.

That could work -- but would cause the packets to get dropped at virtually
every firewall/NAT/NAPT box on the planet (due to unrecognised transport
protocol number).   So I am not sure that I'd call that "practical".  :-(

By contrast, the IPv6 engineering approach I suggested won't have that
failure mode...

Cheers,

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com