Re: [RRG] Why delaying initial packets matters

Noel,
    > From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@multicasttech.com>

    > many simple web pages have in them pieces from other servers and other
    > IP addresses (banner ads are frequently done this way) and so this
    > could put a real performance hit on web page load times in the real
    > world.

Perhaps, but I'll note that interspersing of content in this manner also, in
theory, requires a DNS lookup for each of these included pieces, since they
are generally referred to via a DNS-based URL. (I can make that assertion
because I regularly trawl my web cache to find new sources of advertising
content which I can block, and I don't see many which are IP-address based.)

If the DNS resolution isn't proving problematic, it's probably because a
relatively small number of sites are involved (my list of blocked sites is
not that large), and the DNS records for them are getting cached relatively
close to the user machines (e.g. in a local DNS server

Several researchers have analysed the performance of DNS. MIT did an interesting analysis in 2000, the main results form this analysis are the following :

Our most surprising, non-obvious findings and conclusions are:

* About a quarter of all DNS lookups never get an answer. More than 50% of the DNS-related packets in the wide-area correspond to such lookups! * The DNS retransmission protocol appears to be overly persistent: while most successful answers are received in at most 2-3 retransmissions, the lack of an answer or response causes a much larger number of retransmissions and a corresponding number of DNS packets traverse the wide-area. * Replacing all (i.e., for non-name server hosts) the A-record TTL's to a value as small of 10 minutes is not likely to degrade the scalability of DNS in any noticeable way. This is because of the heavy-tailed nature of accesses to names. * The scalability of DNS has little to do with its hierarchical organization or to good A-record caching. Most of the DNS name space is a flat, two-level structure. A-record caching does not seem to add much more to the per-host or per-application caching done by end clients today. Rather, the scalability derives from the good name space partitioning achieved by the cacheability of NS records, which avoid load on the root and top-level name servers.

See http://nms.csail.mit.edu/projects/dns/

I think that for the DNS the RRG should probably also consider looking at real data...

Olivier

--
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be , Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium