Re: [RRG] Traffic Engineering scenarios

Randall,

On occasions when I have talked with IP service providers about
traffic engineering, I have heard very different inputs from each
ISP.

It would be very helpful, I think, for the sundry ISP-aware folks
here to write up I-Ds on the various TE deployment scenarios
that they care about, what issues those TE deployments seek
to solve, and so forth.

Jason Schiller did this exercice some years ago, see :

http://www.nanog.org/mtg-0505/pdf/schiller.pdf

We have used these case studies to develop a new service that would allow network operators to influence the paths selected by hosts in a shim6 environment, or ITR in a LISP environment. Please find below the abstract of the two drafts. The will appear on the IETF mirrors. In the meantime, they can be retrieved from http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be/publications

     Title           : The case for an informed path selection service
     Author(s)       : O. Bonaventure, D. Saucez, B. Donnet
     Filename        : draft-bonaventure-informed-path-selection-00.txt

With today's peer-to-peer applications, more and more content is
available from multiple sources.  In tomorrow's Internet hosts will
have multiple paths to reach one destination host with the deployment
of dual-stack IPv4/IPv6 hosts, but also with new techniques such as
shim6 or other locator/identifier mechanisms being discussed within
the IRTF RRG.  All these hosts will need to rank paths in order to
select the best paths to reach a given destination/content.  In this
draft, we propose an informed path selection service that would be
queried by hosts and would rank paths based on policies and
performance metrics defined by the network operator to meet his
traffic engineering objectives.  A companion document describes a
protocol that implements this service.

     Title           : IDIPS : ISP-Driven Informed Path Selection
     Author(s)       : D. Saucez, et al.
     Filename        : draft-saucez-idips-00.txt

This draft describes a simple network-based protocol to facilitate
Path Selection and to improve traffic engineering capabilities in
multihomed corporate networks.  With this protocol, any network
device that requires to select a path among a list of different paths
asks a Traffic Engineering service called IDIPS (ISP-Driven Informed
Path Selection) to obtain an ordered list of the possible paths.  The
ordering is constructed according to policies and performance
requirements of both the host and network provider.

Olivier

--
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be , Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium