Re: [RRG] Are host-stack modifications allowed or disallowed ?

On Feb 19, 2008 3:37 PM, PAPADIMITRIOU Dimitri
<Dimitri.Papadimitriou@alcatel-lucent.be> wrote:
> section 3.10 of
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-rrg-design-goals-01>
>
> 3.10. Deployability
>

>    Since solutions that are not deployable are simply academic
>    exercises, solutions are required to be deployable from a technical
>    perspective.  Furthermore, given the extensive deployed base of
>    today's Internet, a solution is required to be incrementally
>    deployable.

After my time on ARIN's PPML list, this statement strikes me as incomplete.

A solution must be incrementally deployable from a technical
perspective, true, but if that was the only deployability requirement
we could adopt Iljitsch's geo-aggregation and we wouldn't need any new
protocols.

Technical deployability isn't good enough. A solution must also be
incrementally deployable from economic and public policy perspectives.

In other words:

1. How do I get paid now, right now, for deploying each component of
the technology?

2. It shouldn't create a godawful mess for the RIRs trying to manage
whatever new number resources the technology requires.

The easy answer to #2 is: don't create any new number resources. Make
the LOCs a proper subset of the EID space based on some technical
criteria as to how they're being used.

#1 is just plain hard, but if you take your favored solution and
produce something like TRRP's implementation timeline
(http://bill.herrin.us/network/trrp-implementation.html) you can get a
pretty good idea whether you're asking for some chicken-or-egg
component to exist in a deployed state absent some market advantage
for the folks who deployed it.

The point of that is not to figure out "the" way that the solution
will be deployed. The point is to verify that there is at least one
way the solution could be deployed that doesn't contain steps your
peers deride as "totally unrealistic." 'Cause if you've got folks
saying, "Nobody in their right minds would behave the way you posit,"
they're probably close enough to correct that your deployment won't
happen.

Coming up with such a timeline doesn't guarantee that your solution is
deployable, but failing to pretty well guarantees that it isn't.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin@dirtside.com  bill@herrin.us