RE: [RRG] Are host-stack modifications allowed or disallowed ?

It is obvious for everyone, that modifications on both hosts and routers are more
expensive than modifications on only routers. Also the latter is more controllable
and may be transparent for the end users, who may not care the Internet routing
architecture at all. If two methods can both reach exactly same functionality, the
latter should have the priority.

However, the central point here is whether modifications on only routers are
sufficient to reach our goals. If we limit ourselves on routers only, we may
overload the routers and networks, then, get a deployable but unusable network
architecture at the end. Choosing out of two possibilities, even the end users would
like to pay the cost of modify their host-stack in order to access the usable
network services.

In summary, we should open to all kind of proposals. But in order to reach the same
goals, we should keep the modifications minimum.

Best regards,

Sheng JIANG, Ph.D.

IP Research Department, Networking Research Department, Network Product Line, Huawei
Technologies Co. Ltd.