[RRG] Mobility considerations in proposal evaluation

Earlier Scott Briwm wrote:
% Therefore we cannot put specific mobility requirements on our routing
% and addressing architecture.  We can, however, look at what mobility
% capabilities a particular approach *excludes* and have opinions about that.

Au contraire, I thnk it would be entirely reasonable and proper for the RG
to consider the mobility capabilities provided by each proposal here in the
course of evaluating the sundry proposals.

This RG might have chosen to limit its consideration to architectures,
and to exclude consideration of specific protocol proposals.  The RG
did not make that choice.  In that case, this discussion might be different
than it is (in various ways).

However, this RG is actually considering recommending none, one,
or more protocol proposals to the IETF.  As the RG is already well
below architecture and well into protocol-specific issues (I think Dino's
quote a while back was "We skipped research and are in engineering"),
it seems entirely reasonable to evaluate the sundry proposals based
on the actual mobility capabilities that the proposal provides, enables,
and/or disallows.

Had the RG limited itself to architecture, one  might well reach a different
conclusion, but the RG is deeply into engineering at this point (so that ship
has sailed long since :-).

Bottom Line:
    I disagree that the only legitimate question is
    whether a particular approach excludes mobility.

Cheers,

Ran
rja@extremenetworks.com