Re: [RRG] NTP and various proposals.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 2:52 PM, Tony Li <tli@cisco.com> wrote:
>  Your assumption here is that all cache entries need to have equal
>  validity.  This is not necessary; it's trivial for the cache entry to
>  have an associated TTL that tells the ITR exactly how long to retain
>  the cache entry.

Hi Tony,

That could hardly be my assumption. My horse in this race, TRRP, has
widely variable TTLs for the map cache precisely because I recognize
that one size doesn't fit all.

I do have a couple assumptions though:

* that NTP is a two-way protocol which requires a stable -round trip-.

* that it is desirable for mobile clients to be able to synchronize
their clocks with NTP servers as well, thus the server-side ITR (if
there is one) needs to be able to deal with the client's possibly
frequent ETR changes even if the client's ITR can reasonably expect
the server to stay in the same place.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--