RE: [RRG] Six/One Router: Provider-Independence, IPv4/IPv6 Interworking, Backwards-Compatibility

Christian

Some questions & comments, having read this & the companion 3 page
'specification' doc.

1. in the spec, how does the Remote Edge Address get set?

2. I couldn't puzzle out whether the Six-One header Option (with the
original source/destination address before translation) is necessary, an
optimisation or necessary for the 'first pkt' but not thereafter?

3. I was also a bit unclear on step 5b of outgoing pkts, where you
translate the source address in the entire pkt including payload. Is
this necessary, an optimisation or necessary for the 'first pkt' but not
thereafter? Is this a standard NAT/ALG function?

4. in your analysis doc [ref 1 below] I wasn't completely convinced by
the scalability section (3.1). I can believe that the transit (ie
global) routing system is more stable. But haven't you shifted this
problem to the mapping system - it now has to cope with changes in
edge/transit mappings? (does this necessarily make things easier?)

It's interesting to me that there's similarity, at a high level, between
Six-one router & the IVIP/LISP/etc family. Both require a separate
mapping function (is that right?). Also Six/one's header option is not
dissimilar to tunnelling (different ways of encoding the same info - but
with different implications for processing at each end & at the transit
routers [header option bad?], pkt size). I think Christian you're also
claiming that the tunnelling approaches require a special router (ETR)
at the destination network (which obviously doesn't exist for legacy
networks & so is problematic) whilst having a six/one router at the
destination network is not a reqt.

Thanks
Phil

Christian