Re: [RRG] Are we solving the wrong problem?

|This is interesting stuff but mostly orthogonal to routing (alas). It
|allows endpoints to manage their congestion and do simple TE.  It
|doesn't allow more sophisticated policy, avoid renumbering, etc. (see
|the RRG design goals).

Doesn't it obviate the need to advertise PI prefixes in the first place?

I think so, in the end of the day. It makes re-numbering a non- issue, as even active connections will trivially survive. But the transition will be long..... (15 years?)

Hence, if we want to move there (which I think we do), we need some interim solutions and a roadmap.

Already a few years back in the Amsterdam SHIM6 interim meeting we decided to make SHIM6 and HIP header-compatible in the hope that that would make such a roadmap easier to explore. And now I see all this work by Christian V. et al on Six/One to look at the same problem from a different angle, moving the host functionality into the network (as I tried to outline in the now expired "generix" draft: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nikander-ram-generix-proxying-00).

--Pekka