Re: [RRG] Map-encap space for "server" vs. "client" end-users?

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 11:24 AM, Scott Brim <swb@employees.org> wrote:
>  Propagating TTL expired for encapsulated packets is an interesting
>  thought.  I'll have to learn more about what other protocols do.

Scott,

Implementations generating an ICMP error message like destination
unreachable are only required to return the IP header and the first 8
bytes of the layer 4 header. That won't include any knowledge about
the encapsulated packet.

Most modern implementations seem to return as much of the dead packet
as will fit in to 512 bytes. This includes enough of the encapsulated
packet for the ITR to reflect the unreachable back to the originating
host.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--