Re: [RRG] Which Side to Control Ingress Link Selection?

On Thu, Mar 6, 2008 at 4:41 AM, Christian Vogt
<christian.vogt@nomadiclab.com> wrote:
>  one question that I think is worth being discussed more closely on
>  this list:  Who should have control over which ingress link packets
>  reach a multi-homed edge network?
>
>  (a) the recipient edge network
>
>  (b) the sending edge network
>
>  BGP-based traffic engineering, as used today, supports option (a), so it
>  seems natural to try and support this also in future routing systems.

Hi Christian,

Actually, BGP supports (a) when the packet is near the recipient, (b)
when the packet is near the sender and (d) [ISP traffic engineering]
when the packet is in between. Everybody gets to tweak the path.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin                  herrin@dirtside.com  bill@herrin.us