[RRG] Re: DNS Map: Mapping Resolution Combining Pull/Push Advantages

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 10:57:25AM +0200,
 Christian Vogt <christian.vogt@nomadiclab.com> wrote
 a message of 34 lines which said:

> I would like to propose DNS Map [1], a DNS-based mapping resolution
> system that combines advantages of push and pull systems.

After reading your document, I fail to understand how the DNS query is
constructed, when the "key" is an EID (if it is an host name, there is
no problem).

You say that the key of the lookup can be a single address or a
prefix. In the latter case, how do you encode it in the query?
Remember that the DNS has no concept of "longest match". The query on
the left-end side of the request ("query name" in DNS parlance) must
match *exactly* the left-hand side of the resource record ("owner
name"). So, whatever the encoding you use, you will have either to try
all possible prefix lengthes, or to know by some unspecified means the
prefix length (unless we decree that the length of 48 in RFC 3177 is
now mandatory).

A more detailed description of the representation of queries and
resource records would help the DNS people to understand what you
propose.

Figure 1 in your document did not help. Network A wants to contact EID
ABC::1. But the figure shows its ITR performing a query for
1000::1... The figure seems to contradict the text.

Yours, very confused. But I'll be there on tuesday morning, you'll be
able to teach me :-)