Re: [RRG] Generic requirements on mapping mechanisms

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 9:15 AM, Olivier Bonaventure
<Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be> wrote:
>  4. A mapping will have a limited lifetime.
>
>  No mapping can be permament and the mapping reply should contain the
>  lifetime of this mapping. This is similar to the TTL in the DNS. A long
>  lifetime will favor scalability while a shorter lifetime will ease
>  traffic engineering by allowing a site to update regularly its map
>  replies. As for requirement 2, the cost of using short lifetimes should
>  be supported by the site that is using those short lifetimes, not by the
>  entire mapping system.

Olivier,

There may be other useful ways to guarantee that knowledge of any
state change in the mapping system propagates to all interested
parties in a "reasonable" amount of time. I'm trying to put together a
list and any assistance would be appreciated. Refer to
http://bill.herrin.us/network/statechange.html

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--