Re: [RRG] Generic requirements on mapping mechanisms

What are the implementation requirements on the routing system?

In my mind, all of the routers (at that time) will probably be based on ASIC-design and main limitation in the forwarding. If we are looking in the future,  the routers has to be to forward multi-100G capacity and the throughput demands simplicity. If we develop a new routing systems that imposing a requirement on a certain flexibillity and complexity, this will cause hardware implementation problems.

Therefore, I missing the implementation design aspects into the discussion. I would rather prefer that we differentiate the solution space depending of the problem to solve.

so let's try::
    -differentiate solutions for different problems
    - Keep simplicity and avoid complexity in forwarding.

-Lasse
Scott Brim wrote:
Re: [RRG] Generic requirements on mapping mechanisms

Excerpts from Tony Li on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 05:34:21PM -0400:
> > In the case of the DNS, some of the cost of using short TTLs is
> > supported by the owner of the domain names with a short TTL. The
> > resolvers of nodes that resolve those domain names also suffer
> > some cost, but the nodes that do not contact these domain names do
> > not suffer the additional cost. In this case, there is some cost
> > (replying to more DNS requests) for the domain that chooses to use
> > short lifetime. This is not perfect since the resolvers that
> > contact this domain also support some cost.
>
> OK.  I thought perhaps you had a way of removing even that cost.
>
> One way of shifting that cost further is for the advertising site to
> proactively issue updates based on historical requests.
>
> Tony

Are you suggesting that if the advertising site does this, the caching
site could toss out cache entries more casually, because they are
likely to be refreshed?  I wonder if proactive updates will increase
both the cost of caching and the cost of processing updates even more,
because updates will be sent and processed even when they are not
needed.