Re: [RRG] Re: Supposed impossibility of scaling for mobility - easy explanation

Hi Fred,

You wrote:

> The question of mobility interactions with scalable routing
> was raised (by me) at the MEXT meeting yesterday, and I will
> be looking to these messages to help formulate requirements
> that might actually be attainable. I will try to comment in
> more detail next week.

  http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/mext/current/msg00861.html

While I think the Ivip-style mobility system is really promising, it
needs to be documented much more clearly.  I plan an ID on Ivip
mobility.  I plan a paper on this at the ACM MobiArch in Seattle in
August - but it is highly competitive to get a paper accepted.

The scheme depends entirely on a global map-encap scheme being
built, ideally with fast control of mapping.

So while it is promising, and I think mobile IP people should be
kept informed of it as a possibility - the global map-encap scheme
is currently vapourware, with many uncertainties about what will be
recommended for IETF development, how long that would take, and to
what extent it will be deployed.

Other people might have very different ideas than mine for how to
use map-encap to support mobility.

Since the map-encap scheme is potentially so powerful, I suggest it
would be good to reconsider the whole idea of "mobility" - rather
than see map-encap providing a merely incremental addition to or
support for existing techniques.

 - Robin