Re: [RRG] Re: Supposed impossibility of scaling for mobility

On Wed, Mar 12, 2008 at 8:43 AM, Joel M. Halpern <jmh@joelhalpern.com> wrote:
>  1) Solving problems that we don't need to solve is going to weaken a
>  solution.

I'm with Robin on this one. If our solution solves the routing portion
of the mobility problem, it will by its nature solve the multihoming
and system capacity problems as well.

At least as important: the new capability that didn't previously exist
and doesn't otherwise exist will give operators a reason to deploy it
beyond reducing the cost of a DFZ router. Folks aren't real good about
spending more money now in order to spend less later. Damn lousy at it
actually. A valuable new feature like mobility could get us over that
hump.

And for the record, I take my laptop back and forth to work every day.
You probably do too. When I do so, it travels between and through
networks which are administratively and topologically distant. It
would be awfully nice if it could keep its "number" the same way my
cell phone does without the nasty routing inefficiencies that had to
be introduced into the telephone network... Nice enough that I could
see buying service from companies who could do it in preference to
those who couldn't.

As I'm sure you gathered from the above, I'm much more interested in
working on solution trees which also address the routing portion of
the mobility problem than I am in working on solution trees which
don't.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--