Re: [RRG] Re: Supposed impossibility of scaling for mobility

Excerpts from William Herrin on Thu, Mar 13, 2008 12:06:53PM -0400:
> Handover is the routing technology which enables mobility in a
> circuit-switched network. Circuit-switched networks are necessarily
> single-homed: your voice channel can only take one path at a time. The
> mobility routing challenge is amounts to this: how do I re-terminate
> the tail of my circuit from this base station (wireless tower) to that
> base station while minimizing bit errors on the circuit's continuous
> stream? We give this re-termination process the name "handover."

RFC3775 (mobility support in IPv6) says:

   L2 handover

      A process by which the mobile node changes from one link-layer
      connection to another.  For example, a change of wireless access
      point is an L2 handover.

   L3 handover

      Subsequent to an L2 handover, a mobile node detects a change in
      an on-link subnet prefix that would require a change in the
      primary care-of address.  For example, a change of access router
      subsequent to a change of wireless access point typically
      results in an L3 handover.

Essentially an L3 handover is an event that requires your IP address
to change.