[RRG] Reactivating the RAM list?

Hi Vince,

In "Re: LISP next steps" you wrote:

> Since there would appear to be much to discuss in this space and
> that a great deal of that discussion has now been deemed
> out-of-scope for the RRG, perhaps it is time to re-active the
> "ram@iab.org" list and take the general topic of R&A scalling
> back there.

I am just reading the list - I haven't listened to Friday's meeting
or all of Tuesday's - but my understanding is that the only topic
Tony ruled out is the discussion of the LISP BOF.  I agree the RAM
list would be a good venue to continue that discussion.

If mobility is ruled out of scope on the RRG list, I think the RAM
list would be a good place to discuss it too.  While Tony has
repeatedly pointed out that people will use routing for mobility,
and that therefore we need to discuss it, he wrote two messages
recently:

  http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2008/msg00772.html
  http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2008/msg00774.html

indicating that we should drop the mobility discussion for now.

I am keen to discuss direct mobility support in map-encap schemes,
because I think it is a really promising field, and because I think
the common assumption that mapping must change for every new care-of
address or access network is wrong.  I think mobility works best
with low latency mapping changes (ideally a few seconds, certainly
less than a few minutes), but that the mapping changes themselves
will be infrequent, since most folks don't move 1000km or so very often:

  http://www.firstpr.com.au/ip/ivip/#mobile

I am also wary of the notion of trying to set an upper bound on the
rate of mapping changes, because this may involve an assumption that
each mapping change doesn't pay its way and so causes unreasonable
burdens on other parties.  That is true of BGP or APT, but is
substantially not the case for Ivip or potentially other proposals.

There could also be a desire to debate the merits of the RRG
process, if some folks find it too constraining, or have concerns
about the time-frame.

The RRG charter:

   http://www.irtf.org/charter?gtype=rg&group=rrg

includes:

   The RRG will have an open general discussion mailing list
   where any topic of interest to the routing research community
   can be discussed, and topics related to scalable routing
   architectures are particularly encouraged.

The LISP BOF is clearly a matter of interest in this field, yet it
has been ruled out of scope.

If the co-chairs choose to rule certain topics out of scope, I would
prefer to use another mailing list as well rather than argue the RRG
scope should be wider than they desire.

The great thing about mailing lists is that there can be more than
one of them.  The main list can be focussed as its moderators
choose, without genuinely suppressing discussion - since there are
always other mailing lists for discussing whatever would clutter the
main list, including out-of scope topics, the moderation policy of
the main list etc.

 - Robin