[RRG] Re: Some concern about the flat label as identifier

On Mon, Mar 17, 2008 at 11:59:42AM +0100,
 Xu Xiaohu <xuxh@huawei.com> wrote
 a message of 31 lines which said:

> I have a concern about the business model of the HIP which uses HIT
> (flat label) as host identifier.

It seems it is more correct to say that the identifier is the HI, not
the HIT.

> how can the id/loc mapping management been shared among different
> countries and different service providers?

There are several ways. One is to use the DNS (draft-ietf-hip-dns)
with all its limitations but also its strengths.

Another one is the use of a DHT (draft-ahrenholz-hiprg-dht). The DHT
spreads the identifiers "at random". If you prefer more control on the
placement of keys, see draft-mathy-lisp-dht.

> I don't believe it's acceptable from both political and economic
> aspects that all the mapping management is dominated by a single
> company, such as Skype.

But certainly nobody suggested so.