Re: [RRG] Hosts, DFZ, purity & incremental deployment

On 2008-03-18 02:17, Randall Atkinson wrote:
> Earlier, Robin Whittle said:
>                   If we used a new space for identification, that
>                   would require major changes to operating systems
>                   and applications on the hosts at both ends of a
>                   communication - which is not incrementally
>                   deployable.
>

> It is not obvious to me that changing operating systems
> (and/or applications) necessarily prohibits incremental
> deployment.  draft-rja-ilnp-intro-00.txt provides a specific
> example of a host stack change architecture that I believe
> to be incrementally deployable.  At least some major host OS
> vendor folks agree with that assessment.

A solution is incrementally deployable if it has a backwards
compatible mode where an updated host can still talk to a
non-updated host. I'm pretty sure that Robin's constraint
(no new namespace) satisfies that rule, and I'm pretty sure
that ILNP doesn't actually create a new namespace either.
It just redefines some of the rules for the RFC 4291 namespace.

Oh, and see RFC 4843 for where this line of argument can lead.

    Brian