Re: [RRG] What does incremental deployment mean

Thus spake "Xu Xiaohu" <xuxh@huawei.com>
It is not obvious to me that changing operating systems
(and/or applications) necessarily prohibits incremental
deployment.  draft-rja-ilnp-intro-00.txt provides a specific
example of a host stack change architecture that I believe
to be incrementally deployable.  At least some major host OS
vendor folks agree with that assessment.

I definitely agree to your opinion. We should not judge whether an
approach supports incremental deployment just by whether host
change is required.

That shouldn't be the only criterion, no, but IMHO it's one of them.

Nowadays, host upgrade is not such a hard work.

It's not much work per host, no. However, it's a massive amount of work when you multiply that by the number of hosts out there. It's an even more massive amount of work to convince the owners of those machines they _need_ an upgrade enough to justify the money and effort. I know plenty of people still running Win95, Win98, and Win2k, and most are on WinXP, not Vista.

If you're relying on people deploying the latest OS, expect at least 5 years to reach 50% penetration -- after the 10 years it takes to get your solution into the OS in the first place. This, to me, stretches the definition of "incrementally deployable" or "not such hard work".

Since there is some possibility and benefit of introducing host change in
solving the routing scalability issue, how about involving some people from
host OS vendor to join this discussion?

My views on this point would change significantly if Microsoft in particular were to commit to including a host-based solution in the next version _and_ back-porting it to prior versions via Windows Update. Without that commitment, I view any solution that _requires_ host changes to be infeasible. I would not object to a solution that had _optional_ host changes that improved performance, though.