Re: [RRG] Comments on draft-lewis-lisp-interworking

On Wed, 19 Mar 2008, Dino Farinacci wrote:
Have you thought more about this now, and can you say something about it
on the list?

It's the same answer I said when I was standing up at RRG. Providers will do whatever they can to attract traffic. They typically don't want to say no. The more traffic they attract the more peering they can get. And the business opportunities start from there.

I may be missing something as I wasn't at the meeting, and at the risk of stating the obvious...

End-site would not want to attract traffic that would result in giving transit to other sites (they'll likely have to pay for the traffic for their upstream ISP per megabit).

An ISP would be OK attracting traffic from its customers (or customers' customers etc.) because they'll pay for it -- depending on where in the foodchain the ISP is, they may get a payment in bulk or per megabit.

However, if there is some ISP B that provides a free PTR ("a la 6to4 relay") that peers with ISP A, ISP A has little incentive to deploy a PTR of its own (provided that the traffic to ISP B's PTR is not too prohibitive) unless it is a tier1/tier2 (ie., has downstream multihomed customer ASs that pay per mbit, and you can only attract that traffic you advertise the aggregate downstream).

However, an ISP would not want to attract traffic from their peers (except if the traffic is targeting their customers) because they won't get paid for it and would in essence be giving out free transit.

As a result, I could see especially tier1/2 ISPs deploying PTRs (if there is another incentive to do so) but they would not want to advertise that to their peers. But unless all the tier1s do it (or someone provides the service for free), some folks in the Internet become unreachable. On the other hand, it's difficult to see the case for any end-site deploying PTR.