Re: [RRG] What does incremental deployment mean - 2 questions

Tony Li wrote:

> I liked Joel Halpern's characterization.  I thought he said it all.

OK, in "Re: [RRG] Mobility, update rates & charging per update"
2008-03-17:

   http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2008/msg00833.html

Joel wrote:

   One small aspect that I think I am seeing here is the same
   words ("incrementally deployable") being used to describe two
   different concepts.  I may be confused, but it looks to me like:

(1)  Deployable incrementally without disruption:  This means that
     a portion of the net (host, site ISP, whatever) can deploy the
     system without losing capability or connectivity.  A flag day
     is not necessary in order to get the system operational.

(2)  Deployment incremental incentives:  This sounds like what Robin
     is asking for, and is related to a bunch of work I have seen
     from folks like Dr. Odlyzko on the economic incentives that are
     needed to drive deployment.    It includes analysis of issues
     like when do folks need positive return on new technologies to
     cause them to deploy.

   They are both valid concerns.  But I think they are two different
   dimensions.

and you initially wrote, in "RE: [RRG] Hosts, DFZ, purity &
incremental deployment" (2008-03-17):

   I would consider anything that could be rolled out one host at
   a time without breaking anything as being the maximal amount
   of incremental deployability.

This initial statement of yours seems to be compatible with Joel's
(1), but not to mention the more restrictive criteria in (2), which
is much closer to the way I use the term "incrementally deployable".

So I am unclear to what extent you embrace Joel's (2), and I am not
sure to what extent you embrace my even more restrictive, and I
think useful, definition in:

  http://psg.com/lists/rrg/2008/msg00846.html

with the last word "yes" changed to a "no".

I think we need an agreed understanding of "incrementally
deployable" since it is one of the requirements in the RRG Design Goals:

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-rrg-design-goals-01

 - Robin