re: [RRG] What does incremental deployment mean

Hi Dino,

> > According to this criteria, many proposals, including v6 EID over v4
> > RLOC of
> > LISP have been sentenced to death.
>
> No, not true. We assume and it is a safe assumption that hosts already
> have IPv6 stacks. And IPv6 EIDs with IPv4 RLOCs means your LISP router
> has to do it.

As Noel said, "there's a lot of old stuff out there, not just Windows."
Does that statement mean there are still a small part of hosts without IPv6
capability?

If your assumption is correct, then what's the main obstacle for the
transition from v4 to v6 since IPv6 is already enabled on most hosts?

> That is life if I have ever seen it.

> >> Even if everyone had Windows Update enabled, it would take too long
> >> get every system upgraded.
> >
> > Most of today's core routers have already been able to support more
> > than 1
> > million routing entries, is there enough incentive for the carriers to
> > deploy map&encap scheme within a short period.
>
> Carriers don't deploy it. Sites do because they want easier ways to do
> multihoming.

Provided the above was the main drive for the map&encap scheme, though the
site with multiple ETRs can enjoy the multihoming benefits, what's the
incentive for the other site to deploy the ITR?

> > The approach that map implemented by hosts and encapsulation
> > implemented by
> > ITRs is incremental deployable. If hosts have not been changed to
> > support
> > this capability, the ITR can implement the map and encapsulation
> > together.
> > The upgraded hosts will not suffer the initial packet loss/latency
> > pain. And
> > the ITR with upgraded site network doesn't need a cache.
>
> What is the point of having them both do it?

This is a transition strategy just like the dual stacks. Of course, if there
was a solution which can overcome the side-effects of the cache mechanism
and the long stretch forwarding path, it's not necessary to upgrade the
hosts to support this mapping querying function.

Best wishes,
Xiaohu XU