Re: [RRG] What does incremental deployment mean

On Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Noel Chiappa <jnc@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> wrote:
>   Any solution that *requires* host changes is infeasible. End of story.

Noel,

I'm not comfortable with quite that broad a statement. Consider the
following scenario:

You create a map-encap system. There are some host software upgrades
that make everything work great. Non-upgraded hosts still work, but
they suffer a 10% performance penalty and certain diagnostic tools
(like traceroute) malfunction.

Do we want to eliminate this scenario from consideration before we've
seen what capabilities and efficiencies it enables?

I'd go for a slightly more moderate statement: A solution is
infeasible if host changes are a -prerequisite-.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William D. Herrin ................ herrin@dirtside.com  bill@herrin.us