Re: [RRG] Consensus check: mapping granularity

On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:55 AM, Stephen Sprunk <stephen@sprunk.org> wrote:
> Thus spake "Olivier Bonaventure" <Olivier.Bonaventure@uclouvain.be>
>  > The identifier to locator mapping function MUST support mapping entries
>  > for aggregates of identifiers. It MAY also support mapping entries for
>  > host identifiers.
>
>  I cannot imagine how a mapping system could be capable of mapping aggregates
>  of identifiers without also being capable of mapping individual ones.

Stephen,

In a monolithic push system you'll want to aggregate maps as they
become distant from their origin. When asking whether the mapping
function must support individual host identifiers, we're really asking
whether that aggregation is permitted to be mandatory or whether it's
only allowed to be opportunistic.

I say the latter: the mapping function MUST support mapping entries
for individual host identifiers anywhere such is necessary to achieve
the origin's desired functionality. Otherwise we're back to wasting an
entire /24 (or whatever the distance aggregate is) in order to support
a single anycasted server.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--