Re: [RRG] Consensus check: mapping granularity

Tony,

So after opening the discussion on this subject, the silence has been
deafening.  Therefore, I assume that we're all in agreement.  ;-)

Specifically, do we agree that:

The identifier to locator mapping function should support mapping entries
for both host identifiers and their aggregates.

For scalability reasons, I would propose to define this requirement as follows :

The identifier to locator mapping function MUST support mapping entries for aggregates of identifiers. It MAY also support mapping entries for host identifiers.

My reasoning is that to be scalable, a mapping system must deal with aggregates. However, some devices, perhaps for some destinations may request or agree to receive map entries for host identifiers. Mapping individual host identifiers is clearly not scalable and should only be an option while the default should be to map aggregates.

Olivier

--
http://inl.info.ucl.ac.be , Universite catholique de Louvain, Belgium