Re: [RRG] Question about ITR and ETR deployment

On Mar 31, 2008, at 7:51 PM, Gang Chen wrote:
Dear Tony and Lixia:
May I ask you question about ITR and ETR deployment location? In the LISP draft-farinacci-lisp-06.txt, both CE and PE router can be used for tunnel endpionts. I wonder to know where is the optimal location to reduce router table size in DFZ greatly?

Best Regards
Gang Chen
phdgang@gmail.com

*personal* view:

- the optimal location for tunnel end point is a good question
  (which is an independent question from individual proposed solutions)

- map-n-encap approach reduces the global routing table by hiding user network prefixes; the exact location of tunnel end point (PE or CE) does not impact the DFZ table size in general, once the solution is globally rolled out.

- the exact location of tunnel end point (PE or CE), I believe, does have an impact on the details of a design, and more importantly, on the incremental rollout (if interested, you may want to take a look of the APT incremental deployment presentation slides from Philly meeting)

Lixia