Re: [RRG] What does incremental deployment mean

Hi Fred,

Thanks - I should have remembered this:

> ISATAP allows dual-stack nodes to discover routers that
> can reach destinations on the global IPv6 Internet.
>
> ISATAP is already widely implemented and deployed; in
> many deployments it is even turned on by default.

but it doesn't alter my understanding that it is not a solution to
the IPv4 routing scaling problem, because the only way it helps is
with hosts which are dual-stack and with applications which in fact
communicate via IPv6.

Also, ISATAP is a transition mechanism, requiring an IPv4 address.
So its only contribution to the IPv4 routing and addressing problem
would be to facilitate wide enough adoption of IPv6 that significant
numbers of end-users would be happy to have IPv6-only addresses,
with no IPv4 direct connectivity.  That won't I happen, I think,
until some very large proportion of hosts in general have IPv6
connectivity - 90%? 99%? 99.9%?

  - Robin