Re: [RRG] What does incremental deployment mean

On 2008-04-09 20:37, Xu Xiaohu wrote:

> [...]

I don't think we want to set up yet another ID space and registry (see next
comment). I did just realise, reading draft-despres-v6ops-apbp-00.txt,
that when you're behind an IPv4 NAT, your transport ID is in fact
uniquely defined by {publicIPv4address, translatedPortNumber} - the
only problem being that this is known to the NAT and the other end,
but not to the "victim" of the NAT. Your network ID is uniquely defined
by {publicIPv4address, privateIPv4address} although nested NATs make
this more complicated.

> Then we can introduce a pure identifier
> namespace, such as IPv6 or CGA address.

Indeed. Not using IPv6 as the globally unique address space would be
perverse in fact, since there is a complete registry and DNS support
for it already.

> In this way, most of the routers,
> especially those in the site network, do not need to be upgrade to IPv6,

Yes, but that upgrade is not an issue anyway - it's going to happen
as hardware replacement occurs.

> and
> the routing scalability issue and address depletion issue are solved
> simultaneously. Of course, this requires some small change in hosts.

Well, changes that require application software upgrades are the hardest
of all. I don't see how to hide a change of ID space from applications.

> Is this approach more acceptable for site network owners compared with the
> v6 EID over v4 RLOC LISP approach? It's easy for carrier to upgrade their
> routers to IPv6, but it will be much hard for the site network to do this.
>
> What's the better NAT solution in your mind?

draft-despres-v6ops-apbp-00.txt is too new for me to be sure,
but I think it gets rid of NAT64, and that is the best solution
of all.

    Brian